Spicy Simmered Eggs with Kale
Recipe type: Breakfast Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins Serves: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 2 bunches kale, tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped but holding shape
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 4 eggs
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the green onions and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add half the kale and all of the parsley and saute, stirring frequently until it begins to wilt. Stir in the remaining kale and repeat.
- Add the broth, the ½ teaspoon of salt and the ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the kale softens, about 5 minutes.
- Create a pocket for each egg in the kale. Crack 1 egg into each pocket. Reduce the heat to medium-low and season the eggs to your liking. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook until almost opaque, about 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the eggs rest, covered, until done to your taste. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and serve immediately.