It’s been a while since I’ve posted but nonetheless I have a ton of great (and easy might I add) recipes to share! A few weeks back I was feeling a little antsy in the kitchen given I was out of my fresh herbs, vegetables, etc.. I did a little brainstorming and rummaging through my cabinets and came across chickpeas – voila! Luckily, I bought tahini paste recently on a whim, so I was all set to put my skills to the test and try to make a hummus better than Cava’s. I did some blog-hopping and came across one of my favorites, Dolly and Oatmeal. She had a great recipe for a roasted garlic hummus so I tried it out. Let’s just say that between my dad, my brother, and me, the hummus was gone by the end of the day. I cut up some carrot sticks and toasted some fresh pita bread and served it alongside the hummus, but really any veggie would do! Side note & don’t be discouraged – I hand popped each chickpea out of its shell so get ready to put in a little bit of tedious work. But trust me, the end result is so worth it and so delicious!
- 1 15-oz. can Chickpeas (any brand works)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- approximately 1/4 cup water
1. Before you begin peeling your chickpeas, roast your garlic!
- pre-heat the oven to 400°
- take an entire head of garlic and cut off a 1/4 inch of the top off
- peel off some of the layers of skin
- drizzle the garlic with a tbsp of olive oil & sprinkle a generous amount of salt
- place on a cooking sheet and cover with foil – roast for 30-40 minutes
2. While the garlic is roasting, peel your peas by placing the chickpeas between your thumb, forefinger and middle finger and pop them out individually
3. In a food processor, blend the chickpeas until clumps form
4. Now add the tahini, lemon juice, salt and roasted garlic – blend until pureed
5. Add water by the tablespoon until you get the desired consistency
6. Transfer the hummus to a bowl and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving – enjoy!