Summer means watermelons, and watermelons mean bring out the vodka! One night my friend, Catherine, and I were feeling a stay-in night but we also wanted a good cocktail. We have an affinity for dirty martinis but couldn’t get our hands on olives since it was past 10 PM. Luckily, I had randomly bought a watermelon earlier that day and had some Rose’s Lime Juice and Tito’s on hand. I started experimenting with different measurements and eventually concocted the best watermelon martini I have had to date. I like them strong so you may want to go with less vodka. Before I share my secret recipe with you, I’ll fill you in on the barware I use.
Bar Tools Guide:
- Shaker – as for the shaker, any stainless steel insulated shaker is great – I use the Insulated Cocktail Shaker from Williams-Sonoma
- Miscellaneous – I use the Stainless-Steel Hammered Bar Tool Set from Williams-Sonoma which includes a double-sided jigger(shot-measurer in other words), ice tongs, cocktail strainer and a long stirring spoon
- Double-shot of vodka, I recommend Tito’s 100%
- 1 shot fresh watermelon juice
- Splash of Rose’s Lime Juice
- 1/4 wedge of lime for shaking & garnish
- Watermelon for shaking & garnish
- Splash of club soda
- Cut open the watermelon and scoop out watermelon chunks and place in a bowl; also, scrape the watermelon into liquid form (basically make half of the watermelon a hollow bowl
- Gather the supplies and throw in the vodka, watermelon juice, Rose’s, a big chunk of watermelon, and squeeze the fresh lime in and add the wedge to the shaker
- Fill with ice covering the contents and shake
- Using a cocktail strainer, strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass
- Add a scoop of watermelon and a lime wedge, and top with a splash of club soda!