On the morning of my college graduation as I ran recklessly (& maybe still a little tipsy) out the door, my brother’s girlfriend handed me a muffin for the road. I was skeptical of it given her love for oats and *all* things natural, however if it weren’t for that muffin I wouldn’t have made it through the four hour long ceremony in the blazing heat on the National Mall. She passed along the recipe and I ran straight for the grocery store to gather the supplies!
It is a ‘Vegan Banana Almond Oatmeal Muffin’ and is my first step towards incorporating oats into my diet. The muffin is great for an on-the-go breakfast when you need to hit the snooze button one too many times, and is great for an afternoon snack. It’s filling yet delicious and tastes just like good ole banana bread! Below is my version of the recipe:
Yields: 12 generously sized muffins
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 22-25 Minutes
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 smashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk (any flavor works!)
- 1/2 cup slivered strawberry slices
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup raw sliced almonds (save some for topping the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 F and grease muffin tin with coconut oil
- Make sure that the almond butter is runny, microwave if necessary
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and stir thoroughly until combined; spoon into muffin tins and top with almond slivers
- Place on center rack of oven and bake for about 22-25 minutes
- Take out and let cool – the muffins should pop right out of the tins!
Other Options: Adding egg whites is a great source of additional protein! Just make sure to keep the muffins refrigerated if adding egg whites. I also added mini chocolate chips to half of the muffins to satisfy my chocolate sweet tooth!